Sunday, October 4, 2009

October 4th 2009
So here I am. I’m excited, I’m scared. Again I woke up at 4:00 and couldn’t get back to sleep. I’m scared that I won’t be equal to the task but God reminded me that even as I sit here looking out at the roaring waves of the Pacific and listening to the sound of the crashing waves and worshipping God for his greatness and power, even as I do that God reminded me that he loves me. He has already accepted me even if I fail. I’m not here to earn any standing with him. It makes me want to run to him and cry out, “Abba, Father!”

I am nervous/scared but I also want to see God use me. I believe he will use me, but over and over I have to remind myself that it’s not about me. Yes I am inadequate but that doesn’t matter because it’s about God’s power not mine.
We’re going off to visit a church this morning before we tour our mission points. I’m excited for Aaron. He will be working with a different pastor at a different church and he already knows he will be giving the morning and evening messages. He’s probably a little anxious but God has laid a message on his heart and he’ll do great. It’s sad that Randy isn’t here right now. His flight got delayed, hopefully he should arrive tomorrow.

Well Sunday was a nice day. Our pastor took us to visit a church here in Bahia. In a way it reminded me of Crossroads. They meet in an open building with large speakers set up in front and upbeat praise and worship music. It was a large church, probably 150-200 people. It was funny, before the offering one of the leaders gave a short message about giving. She talked about Malachi 3:10 and 2 Corinthians 9:8. It’s definitely a little different tactic than we would use in the U.S. After church the people went down to the beach where they had some baptisms. It was fun to watch.
We got to go out and visit our ministry points today. The other group working with pastor Jose Cevallos will be in a suburb of Bahia called Fanca. The living conditions are a lot different than in the U.S.
The houses typically have concrete pillars in the corners with narrow brick walls in between and a concrete or steel roof. The windows are wide open with bars over them. Typically there is no glass. Many of the houses are made all out of wood. Some are up on stilts, some have thatched roofs. There is a lot of garbage around and stray dogs wandering everywhere.
We also traveled out to my teams mission point which will be about an hour and a half inland in a city called Calceta. It will be a long ride there and back everyday in the back of a pick-up truck. We go past quite a few towns and a larger city called Tosagua to get there. It’s odd that we have to go so far each day but God must have a plan. Pastor Jose grew up in Calceta and has a heart to reach this city. I’m guessing there are around 25,000 people here. We will focus on one neighborhood outside of town. There is a restaurant on a corner that will be our base of operations (the restaurant is a thatched roof over a concrete pad next to a house). The lady who runs the restaurant is named Teresa. She grew up with pastor Jose and is going to help us and feed us lunch every day.
We met the nationals who will be helping us. A guy named Tito is our driver. It will be tricky because Pastor Jose won’t be able to work with us out at the mission point since he has to work as the warden of the prison in Bahia. I’m anxious and nervous to see how it goes when we get out here to do evangelism, but it was nice to see where we will be working first.

No comments:

Post a Comment